Tuesday, April 3, 2007

My Nephew Nikolas and Financial Aid


I was thinking the other day of what it means to sacrifice so much for us to accomplish our dreams as non-traditional students at GS. You know, the sort of questions that ask, "Why - why do we do it?" Then I got an email from my sister, who is one of the strongest women I know. Some of you who know me know my background - German/Pakistani/Black American. My mother had me when she was 16 as a Catholic villager in Germany, and she met my father, an American GI, - who adopted me as a baby and moved to the United States. Along came my sister four years later, and we share something that transcends immigration, or the horrors of Detroit where we were raised, or the multi-racial bloodlines we share. It's something much deeper, and I wanted to share an email I got from her this Wednesday on why our dreams mean so much to us.

Hello Brother!

I just wanted to drop a few lines to say that I love you! and I miss you and I am very proud of you and all that you have accomplished.
When I look at my son I am constantly reminded of you. He is so amazing and super smart. I'm glad he received your genes.
I think about you all of the time and our childhood that we were blessed to spend together. I am greatful for Mom and Dad teaching us
the importance of family and spending time with your kids. I look at Nikolas and I just feel that he deserves so much more. He deserves
love unconditionally, like the love that we have.
I can make a promise to you, that the world has not seen
all that I have to offer. I will finish school and I will become something... I can't say better than what I am now, because Nikolas is
everything to me, but I want him to be proud of his mommy and I want to make others proud of me too.
Anyway, I just wanted you to know how much I do love you and I miss you tremendously!


God Bless!


Now, if we place ourselves as the trustees of the future and benefactors of the present, is it not our duty, our sworn oath to help those who work ungodly hours to make their dream come true, to help those who are mothers, soldiers, dreamers, and OUR future, to help those who give of themselves until there is nothing left? I want to be at a School that cherishes what we contribute, and I want to be around students who cherish their School. Everyone deserves a chance to be great - and when money stands in the way, we all lose. So people ask, "Well, what are the specifics, what is the plan? How do you plan on changing financial aid." I'll post documentation on what I believe - but more importantly, the question is should people like my sister Nikola or her son Nikolas be able to come to a school like GS one day in the future, and say that GS is where their "Life, part II" began?

No comments: